How to Use Social Media for Public Relations
Forget "Old School" Press Release Thinking - Go Digital
Along with all its other multi-purpose benefits, Social Media is changing the public relations industry completely - with new technologies and new concepts on how to communicate one's corporate messages to the public, the media, investors and other stakeholders.
The most fundamental shift is the move away from "push" marketing - where mainstream media and advertising tell the public what to think, feel and buy - towards "pull" marketing where consumers pick and choose the content they want, rate it, share it, comment on it.
Social media users...
- control their own online experience
- influence the experiences of others
- expect brands/companies to be accessible,authentic
So a smart PR professional today uses the social-media paradigm in developing news releases, event marketing, launches and all other types of promotional materials, using the winning equation:
- Static, standard-form news releases
- Phone calls to editors
- Text only
- The Social Media Press Release
- Web Influencer Outreach > build relationships with key bloggers, Twitterers, podcasters, forum moderators, etc.
- Videos, photos, podcasts, links, widgets, mash-ups
At our company, PROsocialmedia, we like to say that the "PRO" in our name stands for more than just Professional (though professionals we be, with many years' expertise under our belts).
The PRO in PROsocialmedia also stands for: